The Ruger Mini-14® Tactical Rifle in 300 AAC Blackout [VIDEO]
The legendary Mini-14® tactical rifle is now available in 300 AAC Blackout, so now you can shoot sub-sonic in a .30 caliber.
I recently had the opportunity to handle and shoot one of these masterpieces, and let me tell you; I am now a fan of 300 blackout!
I have always loved the mini 14 platform, but have only fired it in 5.56/.223 before last week. At the range, I was zeroing in a new optic on my LWRC Piston Ar-15 chambered in 5.56/.223.
The gentleman next to me is unzipping his rifle case and brandishes his mini 14. “Nice Rifle!”, I say. “I have always loved the Mini 14 platform for 5.56/.223.” I exclaim.
The man just smiles and grins, “…yea, it’s a great weapons platform for sure. This however, is chambered in 300 Blackout!” he says with a devilish grin upon his face.
My jaw must have dropped, because after a moment he asks me if I’d like to give it a run through on the range. I jumped at the chance! I have never been a fan of 300 blackout. Not because I dislike the caliber, only just because I have no use for it. I don’t hunt, I am not really a competition shooter, I train for self defense and for range time fun. That’s it. So, 300 blackout really hasn’t been a priority for me to own.
Having shot this Mini 14 from Ruger however, I am seriously considering a new purchase.
The Mini-14 is a lightweight semi-automatic rifle manufactured by Sturm, Ruger & Co. used by law enforcement personnel and civilians. A .223 caliber (5.56 mm) firearm, it is made in a number of variants including the Ranch Rifle with an integral scope base on the receiver and the Mini Thirty which is chambered for 7.62×39mm.
The Mini-14 was first introduced in 1973 by Sturm, Ruger & Co. The name Mini-14 was coined because it resembles a smaller version of the military M14 rifle. Designed by L. James Sullivan and William B. Ruger, it incorporated numerous innovations and cost-saving engineering changes. The Mini-14 rifle employs an investment cast, heat-treated receiver and is mechanically similar to the M1 Garand rifle, with a self-cleaning, fixed-piston gas system. Initial rifles were produced with a complex, exposed bolt hold open device with no button for manual engagement. Stocks were somewhat angular and heat shields were made of wood. These rifles, with serial number prefixes before 181, were tooled and redesigned with a new stock, new bolt hold-open mechanism, and other small changes.
The original Mini-14 rifle had a rear aperture sight with large protective wings and no integral scope bases. In 1982, Ruger introduced the Ranch Rifle with an integral scope base on the receiver, a new folding aperture rear sight and factory scope rings.
The Min-14 in 300 Blackout has the same great features you have come the expect with the Mini-14®; rugged-grand style action and safety, compact, hammer-forged barrel with a threaded 5/8-24 flash suppressor, protected “Ghost-ring” rear sight and protected wing front sight with patented integral Ruger scope mounts. This model also comes with a section of Picatinny rail for your favorite optic and will aid in keeping the flow of back pressure gas away from your face when shooting with a suppressor.
- StockBlack Synthetic
- Front Sight- Blade
- Rear Sight- Adjustable
- MaterialAlloy- Steel
- Thread Pattern- 5/8″-24
- Twist- 1:7″ RH
- Capacity- 20
- Finish- Blued
- Weight- 6.7 lb.
- Overall Length- 36.25″
- Barrel Length- 16.12″
- Length of Pull- 13″
- Grooves- 6
- Suggested Retail- $1089.00
- Cold hammer-forged barrel results in ultra-precise rifling that provides exceptional accuracy, longevity and easy cleaning.
- Simple, rugged, Garand-style action with breechbolt locking system, a fixed-piston gas system and self-cleaning moving gas cylinder gives unparalleled reliability under harsh operating conditions.
- Patented integral scope mounts, machined directly on the solid steel receiver, provide a stable mounting surface for scope rings, eliminating a potential source of looseness and inaccuracy in the field (scope rings included).
- Accurate sighting system with ghost ring adjustable rear aperture sight and a non-glare, protected blade front sight.
- Receiver is drilled and tapped for mounting the included Picatinny rail.
- Also includes: two magazines; Picatinny rail; scope rings.
- Compact Hammer-Forged Barrel with 5/8″-24 Thread Factory-Installed Flash Suppressor.